Type of Employment: Contract
Title: Scrum Master
Term: 6 months contract with extension
Location: Hybrid from Toronto – 2-3 days/week
Job ID number: C1305
Brief Description on Duties:
About the Role
Digital, Data and Analytics is one of the key pillars of the Client for Life Strategy. Leveraging innovative digital capabilities powered by data, insights, and intelligence, we aim to inspire and energize our clients and sales professionals to believe.
This role will be part of a dedicated Agile team building the digital data products and will be accountable for implementing the team goals through a highly dynamic, fast-paced solution development process. The Scrum Master helps build high-performing teams by providing support with product delivery utilizing a deep understanding of Agile principles and team dynamics. The Scrum Master teaches the team Agile practices, facilitates Scrum ceremonies, and shields the team from external distractions. The Scrum Master brings the teams together and helps them understand each other’s roles and key objectives. This individual is also a personal coach for team members and an innovator who constantly seeks continuous improvement.
What will you do?
- Monitor Scrum processes and support Product Owner, Delivery Manager and other stakeholders on release planning and backlog management related to the data [pipelining] products & services.
- Facilitate agile ceremonies including sprint planning, sprint review, retrospectives, and daily standup.
- Identify, manage, and help mitigate issues and risks, with particular emphasis on timely removal of impediments for the team and/or directing obstacles to appropriate owners for quick resolution.
- Ensure that proper documentation (i.e. program vision statement, program backlog, program roadmap, release plan, sprint backlog, and increments) is prioritized and added to the team’s backlog of work
- Support compliance with Sun Life policies and procedures for delivery and implementation
- Build high performing teams who produce successful deliverables and work effectively via individual and team coaching.
- Strengthen the team’s understanding of Agile / Scrum principles and ensure application of these practices.
- Ensure the team’s actions are aligned with the project goals and vision
- Bring transparency to Business, IT, and Operations organizations about the team’s progress and Agile processes
- Identify trade-offs between short and long-term benefits to drive shared vision between the team and Product Owner/Delivery Manager
- Foster a continuous learning environment, helping teams adapt to changing circumstances.
What will you need to succeed?
- 3+ years of experience in agile delivery / transformation / training / coaching
- 5+ years of IT project management experience
- Familiarity working in Agile and Scrum environments
- Certified Scrum Practitioner (CSP) or Certified Scrum Coach (CSC) ideal
- Experience/knowledge in development & implementations of the Cloud based data products/solutions.
- Experience in Agile principles and managing teams/dynamics.
- Experience in facilitating Agile ceremonies, tracking team level metrics and removing blockers ideally working with the data product development team.
- Fast learner and action-oriented individual who can quickly connect dots and add-value in the complex Data and Analytics value chain.
- Strong communication skills, ability to share information promptly and clearly
- Strong team leader able to assess team spirit, facilitate positive team dynamics, and drive necessary actions to improve
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, and analytical skills
- Ability to coach and mentor multiple roles on a Scrum team; skilled in building relationships and navigating through organizations
- Brings a high-energy and passionate outlook to the job and can influence those
- Able to build a sense of trust and rapport that creates a comfortable & effective workplace
- Understanding the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Delivery or software development background in data pipelining and data analytics domains will be a strong competitive advantage. a plus
- Experience coaching development teams is a plus
- Assertive, with the confidence to be voice of authority
- Well versed in navigating complex organizational structures and the capability to develop productive working relations with internal stakeholders across the region and globally